I Miss Paul Harvey...

Earlier today we were having lunch and I was filling up the water kettle with hot water to make myself a cup of tea when Wes asked what I was doing.

"I'm heating up water to make tea. Why? Do you want a cup of tea?"

"No, I'm just wondering why you're using hot water."

I shut off the water and turned to him in confusion. "What? I always use hot water."

"You're never supposed to use hot water in a kettle for tea, you're supposed to use cold water."

"I always use hot water." I said wondering where in the world this conversation was going.

"Yeah, but you're not supposed too, it's not healthy."

"Says who?"

"I can't remember..."

"Probably Paul Harvey" I responded sarcastically.

"Yeah, I think it was! That was a long time ago, but he knows what he's talking about."

Nic joined in the conversation. "He's a really smart guy."

Wes nodded with him, "Uh huh, he's very wise."

"Oh brother!" I turned the hot water tap back on ignoring their laughter. I will admit I was smirking as I shut off the water "Jerks" and the laughter continued.

So, after supper I was sitting and thinking back over the day and I thought back to that short moment at lunch time and I chuckled to myself again. It brought back so many memories. Times when Wes and I would meet for breakfast at Oasis when he was still working and he would tell me a funny story that Paul Harvey had talked about on his early morning show and if he couldn't quite remember how the story went he'd say, "I'll listen again at lunch time and I'll let you know how the story goes."

Memories, what a great invention from God. Could you imagine our life without them? Sadly, many do experience memory loss and I remember when Wes was first diagnosed the possibility of him losing his memory was one of many fears I needed to deal with. But, after a number of conversations with different people I have quickly realized that there are many many people who are dealing with heart wrenching issues just like that in their lives. And the common thread in their stories is how God is walking with them through these hard times. And so He is!

You know, we are only here for a short while, but we have the joy of packing in as many memories as possible. OK, so after 40 it's a little harder to remember some of the memories, but that's why we now have digital photos and blogs right? Sometimes I have to go back and read my own blog to know what we've been doing these past few weeks because I have a hard time remembering some of the details of everything that has happened. Either that or Wes reminds me of the details, he has always had an amazing memory!

But, for as much as we think we want to hang onto this life, to remember every detail, deep down we know that there is something so much better that is waiting for us when God calls us home.

We love our life here on earth and though we don't know what's around the next corner it is still our life. God is writing our story and we trust him to write it as He sees fit. But not once has He ever said that we will live through our story alone, He has continually reminded us that He has been walking beside us every step of the way.

And now, the rest of the story...

"Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth." Psalm 57:11

Comments

Anonymous said…
sending the hugest of hugs your way. I know tomorrow is a landmark day. I so admire what you 'see' and how you see it. Live, yes, live. God is here and we will get through each moment. In our present, we are making memories, so make them good ones; memories of the past are just that, in the past. So the present is as good a time as any to participate in a memory-making moment, if that makes sense.....

May God bless your day with many reminders of how ever present His love and grace is.....
Marilyn
P.S. I will find you in that soundbooth!!!!! : )

Popular Posts