Merry Christmas!?!

Well, we made it to the Nic's apartment shortly before three this afternoon. The road had a lot of icy patches and the winds were really shoving us around and the closer we got to the city the worse it seemed to get.
We had just crossed over the perimeter on our way north when we saw an SUV upside down in a ditch full of water. The cab was more than half under water and the doors had been pulled open. There were police markers around the vehicle and the tow truck was just backing up to it. The scene had a bit of an eerie feel to it. You just hope that everyone was able to get out safely.
We finally arrived at the apartment building and I ran inside to get a shopping cart from the underground parking to help carry our portable bed and luggage up to the third floor.

I stepped out of the elevator dragging the shopping cart behind me and there was a young guy standing and waiting for me to maneuver the cart out with a modicum of dignity. He laughed and said "A bad day to go out grocery shopping!" OK, his language was a little stronger than that, I cleaned it up for you...you're welcome!

I laughed as I dragged the last two wheels over the little ridge, hoping that he didn't think I was one of the seniors who lived there with three dogs and a cat!

"Not going shopping," I said with a smile "Going to get my luggage"

He kept laughing and I thought he would just climb into the elevator and disappear, but apparently he is OK with middle-aged women and shopping carts. He kept talking even as I was struggling to get the outside door open and as another young gentleman opened that door for me the first guy, realizing that I was not hanging around for more conversation yelled out, "Merry Christmas!"

I laughed and wished him a Merry Christmas as well and thanked the second young man for holding the door for me as I lugged the cart through he said "You're welcome ma'am" I laughed to myself as I slid down the icy ramp toward the Blazer with my cart, 'Yup, they think I'm one of the old ladies...how about a nice older aunt! Yeah, that has a better ring to it!'
Wes and I lugged the shopping cart loaded with our bed, bedding and luggage, now also coated with a healthy layer of snow, up to the third floor. We left everything in the cart just inside the door of Nic's apartment and Wes went to lay down in Nic's bed for a nice sleep and I did a bit of work on Nic's computer and then I had a short power nap on the couch.
I got supper going and shortly after that Nic walked in the door. It is always something to see your son walk in decked out in his work clothes which include a shirt and tie, with a big grin, happy to see his mom and dad, OK, so maybe it was the vereneke boiling on the stove, but deep down I think he was also happy to see us.


Wes called home over supper to make sure Mark was OK, it was hard leaving him at home because he was working through a bad cold and a bit of a fever. But, with a lot of fluids and a good old fashioned bottle of Vick's I think he'll be alright.

I remember when the boys were little and they would have really bad colds, I would pick them up out of their beds and carry them into the bathroom where I had run the hot water in the bathtub to fill the room with thick steam. I would lay out a couple of heavy quilts on the floor and snuggle the boys into the blankets warmth. Their bright blonde hair was plastered against their feverish foreheads and eventually they would cough their way to sleep and usually by morning their fever had broken and my back was in the shape of a pretzel from sleeping on the floor beside them.

I would wake up to a pair of bright blue eyes peeking out from under the quilt and then those pearly white baby teeth would break out into a grin and everything in my world was OK once more.

That's how I felt this morning when I went down to say Goodbye to Mark when I left to work at the church. He lay there all shiny with Vick's and a bit of a fever.

"I love you you jerk!" I said, tears coming to the surface.

Those beautiful blue eyes peeked out from deep under his quilt and with a sleepy grin Mark replied "You love me AND I'm a jerk?"

We both laughed and my tears started to come. "I can only handle one sick person at a time, so get better OK?!"

They may both be well over six feet tall, but in my mind's eye they are still two little blond haired boys who can melt my heart with just a look.

We pray for them, we love them, we sing to them, we cherish them...I love my family...

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise." James 5:13

Comments

Anonymous said…
we are praying....

Your family is so close and I love the way you love each other. I can only hope that when my little ones are grown, that they will turn out half as well as your boys with your loving guidance, faith and humour.

thinking of you tonight,
marilyn hart-- I'm here if you want/need a sounding board for a resume at any time; used to be my job as an adult education teacher to work through resumes for people re-entering the paid work force...

Popular Posts