Happy Birthday to me!

October 6th has always been one of my favorite days!! I love birthdays!
Today I was asked how old I was and I said with a smile, "47"
The reaction? "47?? That's nearly 50!"
I smiled at my young Irish friend who thinks he's quite funny and said, "Yes, it is."
"Doesn't being nearly 50 scare you?"
"No" I said calmly my smile becoming wider "I love my forties, they are far better than my thirties were. But, you know, I've always loved all my birthdays."
Of course later when my co-workers sang Happy Birthday to me during coffee break he had to sing an extra line "Happy birthday dear Dinah...who's 47...happy birthday to you!"
Does the age thing really bother me? Not yet, maybe in a few years, but I don't know it's just never been something I've ever really cared about. Some people mark their lives by the numerical milestones, but to me one birthday is the same as the next, just better!
Would it be nice to be young again...ah, not so much. I hated the dating scene, that bitterness comes from the fact that I wasn't ever really asked out - ha ha.
Would I like to have smoother younger skin, sure, but when I did I had pimples - yuck.
Would I like to have the slim body I had as a young girl, absolutely, but today with the right clothes you can offer the world a grand illusion.
Would I like to have all my dreams fulfilled by now? No way! If I've done everything I want to do in my life then what's left to live for?
Would I like to have those lazy summer days back when I was a little girl where the only thing I had to worry about was how far I'd ride my bike down the road? Sometimes, but it's nice to take life beyond the simple things.
Aging isn't always what it's cracked up to be, but so far except for my gallbladder my body is doing pretty good. My mind is, for the most part, still working. And emotionally, well that can be a roller coaster ride, but then what woman isn't on that ride her whole life?

So, if you add everything up you realize that going back in time is not an option, but being able to look back is a gift.

You know you are getting older, but that's OK too cause you can get away with more.

You can have selective hearing and people will excuse you quite easily. Not so much when you were younger cause that just gave mom license to yell louder. Now if you pretend not to hear something, people just honestly think you're losing your hearing and they let it ride.

You don't feel the need to follow the crowd quite so closely anymore...why?...because you have discovered who you are inside and she's different and unique and it shows on the outside.

You talk to God differently...not so many thee's and thou's or repetitious prayers, but there's a profound change...He's been a part of your life for so long that you talk to Him with the same respect but it sounds different, more real and so much more transparent mostly because you're tired of pretending to be something you're not.

So, here's to aging gracefully....or at least giving it our best shot!!!

"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come." Psalm 71:18

Comments

Popular Posts