Thanksgiving...

I looked back to my entry for our Thanksgiving from a year ago and was reminded again of how far we have come. Last year at this time Wes had his staples removed from his brain surgery and we had gone for a walk on Thanksgiving day. My how time has flown.
Wes and I were at my parents house for a gathering this afternoon and on the drive home we talked. We reminisced about how far he's come, the good results we've had so far, the last bit of tumor left that is not growing at this point, the fact that he's been taken off all his meds except for the chemo, his being able to go back to work and the list goes on.
Thankfulness...it's a long word I think for a reason....being thankful is not as cut and dried as we'd like to believe. We can say 'thanks' for so many things, but it's the staying thankful that I struggle with. The warm fuzzy feeling of gratitude just doesn't always stick around as long as I'd like. Something happens and very quickly I can fall back into discouragement or frustration. I remind myself again about how grateful I should be, but a short while later I allow selfish feelings to overwhelm and take the lead in my thought process. Why does a person do that? That whole flip flop thing!
Why? I think Paul put it best when he said,

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:11-12

So, here's to all of you that touch my life in different ways every day, who encourage, pray, love and laugh with me. Thank you for helping me to walk this earth growing and hopefully maturing, thank you for being patient and kind, for forgiving me when I am not the friend you deserve.
And God, not just because it's thanksgiving, but because you deserve so much more than I can ever express here's a small "Thank you!"...well, for everything!!

Comments

Popular Posts