A tribute to all the fathers, grandfathers & great grandfathers...

Yesterday our brother-in-law Jack lost his dad. Lorna said that he died very peacefully yesterday afternoon. Funeral arrangements have begun. How quickly we move our emotional, physical and spiritual beings from a hard battle to the finish line. It means that every one else who is left here is in process of switching gears rather quickly doesn't it?
Mr. Wiebe was a dad, a grandpa and even a great grandpa. Not everyone has the opportunity to carry even one of those titles. What a privilege, an honor and a joy it must be to hold those family patriarchal identities.
No mom or dad is perfect, I know that from experience. I think back to how I have handled things with our boys and have some memories that make me cringe, but the boys don't always remember the same things as I do...thank goodness!
I'm sure my dad feels the same way, not always remembering the positive role model he was and still is, but I remember lots of moments. My favorite time with my dad was working with him in the parts department at the Massey Dealership in Plum Coulee. I got pretty good with working behind the counter selling parts and oil filters.
I'll never forget the one time that a farmer came in for a belt and I asked him if I could help him. He was abrupt (after all it was harvest time) and to the point, he didn't need help from a young teenage girl. He wanted my dad, but my dad had another customer he was helping.
My dad must have overheard our conversation but, he never turned his head my way, but looked directly at the farmer and said "Let her help you, she'll find it for you. She's pretty good." and he turned back to the parts book he was looking through.
The man was not happy with my dad's answer, but slowly moved back to my side of the counter and laid the torn belt on the counter. The whole time my mind was rolling...'My dad thinks I can do this! Please don't let me screw up now!' I looked at the broken belt and prayed hard that the numbers would be visible along the side, of course they weren't. But, I asked him a couple of questions and realized that this was a very familiar part. My dad had shown me which belts, oil filters and bearings were usually the most popular ones to replace.
It took a few minutes, but I managed to figure out exactly which one it was. I put it on the counter and began writing out the bill. My dad walked over to where I was standing and picked up the two belts. He looked at the torn one for a while and then with a flick of his wrist he lightly tossed them back on the counter.
"That's the one you want!" was all he said as he walked away.
The farmer nodded in silence to my dad and signed the bill before he walked out the door. Neither man noticed the huge grin on my face.
Our sons have memories of my dad as well, bike rides and summer holidays on the farm. He taught them low German expressions...not sure that all of them were good. But, they remember lots of laughs and happy times.
I watch my dad now as a great grandfather and he does really well. At this last Mother's Day gathering he spent time wrestling around with Hayden one of the great grandsons. Even the great grandchildren will have strong memories of my dad.
And so the cycle continues...
So, this is for all the dads we love and especially for those who now have to let go of their dad...Thanks God for coming up with the idea of dads...our lives wouldn't have been the same without them!

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Corinthians 1:2-4

Comments

Popular Posts