Laughter & Tears...

Today was the last day of Wes' chemo for this month. This round has made him a bit more tired than usual, but then I've been feeling very tired lately too so I'm not sure what my excuse is. But, all kidding aside, he has felt a bit more tired this time so I'm glad that this round is over.
This afternoon we went on a short motorcycle ride. It was kind of a bittersweet moment. It was so much fun and yet it was hard because we would both like to go on another trip like we've been doing the past two years, but it's not going to happen. I'm OK with that, but it is hard to let that part of our life go for right now. Sitting on the back of the bike it was silent. I know that you will find that hard to believe, but I was completely content to sit and just enjoy this moment together in silence.
Watching the clouds in the sky, the trees, looking at the fields, the wild flowers growing at the side of the road and feeling the wind as we rode along the highway just like last year. But, somehow today it all felt a bit surreal.
We stopped at the little resting area by Darlingford and decided that maybe we should make our way back home. We were both tired. Some days we feel so old. I wish that was funny, but it's not really a joke anymore. It's our life. I look in the mirror and I see how this process has aged me, I look at Wes and I see how wonderful he looks. With everything that he has been through he is coming through this with flying colors, me not so much.
God has given him immense grace and strength to keep going. He keeps busy and that seems to help, he knows his limits and has his sense of humor and that also helps him to cope. He works and that gives him normalcy. He has me and that keeps him on his toes...now, that's a joke...I hope!
When we got home we watched 'Wipeout' which is a no brainer game show that makes us laugh every time. Well, today was no different except I think God knew we needed a really good laugh and I couldn't stop. You know those stupid laughing fits you can get into and can't stop, even long after the situation that you were laughing at is over? The kind of stupid moment that you can't explain to anyone else the reason of why it's so funny, it just is? I haven't laughed like that in a long long time. Oh, don't get me wrong, we've laughed, but this was one of those moments where there was complete release, the tears were running and I moved the Kleenex box a little closer as I wiped the mascara from my face. It felt good. After the show was over I was flicking through the channels and I looked over to ask Wes what he wanted to watch and he was fast asleep.
I woke him up an hour or so later because it was supper time and after a light supper he packed it in for the night. So, here I am talking to all of you.
Well, this coming week will be good, busy, but good. We're getting company. Hailey and Mackenzie are coming to visit. I'm picking them up Monday morning and they are staying until Friday morning. They are wonderful children that we are privileged to have in our life.
Well, I'm going to go on a few more wedding sites before I go to bed...Eva and I are having a blast making plans for the wedding next year! It's a great distraction and I appreciate that her and Mark are including us in their wedding dreams...

"Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the LORD in the land of the living.Psalm 116:7-9

Comments

Popular Posts