Blogging vs. Facebook...hmmm

OK, yesterday evening Eva and Hailey helped me to discover that I actually had a Facebook account that Nic had made for me quite a few months ago. The girls and I got the giggles as they walked me through how to get onto my account and what I needed to do to update my Facebook account.
"I have no friends!" I said with a frown
Again the girls giggled as they explained that I needed to 'invite' people to be my friends. They also explained that those that I invite need to accept the invitation or else I would remain friendless.
"You mean people can reject me?" I was genuinely concerned.
"They don't reject you!" Eva explained with a smile, "They just hit 'ignore'"
And the difference would be??....
And then it hit me, this is like real life if people don't really want anything to do with you they know how to 'ignore' really well and they don't have to hit a button! But, then there are many who accept the invite or even initiate the invitation for you to join them in their walk through life. Those are the ones worth having on your friends list.
"So, what's the difference between a blog and Facebook?" The girls took each question I had in stride, I was and still am a little ignorant with this whole Facebook thing.
Eva was very patient...Hailey mostly giggled a lot. "Well, on Facebook people can talk to you and find out little everyday things about you, look at pictures and you can do the same with all your 'friends' and on your blog you write in it like a diary and people can read it, but its not as interactive as Facebook."
I looked at the little note that said 'no friends' and didn't really feel excited about this at all, in fact the whole thing made me a bit nervous, but it was fun acting silly with the girls.
So, last night I threw out a few invites so see if anyone would actually respond or if they would indeed ignore me. Before we all went to bed I think I had moved up to three friends which was pretty cool and by the time I got up this morning I was up to nine. I think that's all the invites I had the nerve to send out. In other words, I only sent invitations to people I was pretty sure that wouldn't hit that awful 'ignore' button!
It's quite nerve wracking to send out an invitation and wait for a response, because too often I've heard the comment "So and so asked me to join their Facebook, but I don't know why I don't really have anything to do with them." And what if someone feels that way about an invitation I give out? Yikes, that's a scary thought!
But, I'll give it a try and I won't be giving up my blog anytime soon, I feel comfortable here.
Well, I may not really understand everything about Facebook, but hey, they say the best way to stay young is to keep learning...at this rate I'll be young forever!

'The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.' So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was filled with guests." Matthew 22:8-10

Comments

Popular Posts