What is?....a clearer MRI result.

I have never been a huge fan of Jeopardy, well there was that time when Ken Jennings was on a hot roll, but as soon as he left the show I was done watching. Anyway, on to the question/answer of the day.

As you know last week we had our appointment in Winnipeg and I gave you a bit of an idea of what happened. But, you know, I just wasn't settled about the whole thing, OK, that's a polite way of saying I didn't sleep much all weekend and my worry level was off the scale.

So, on Monday morning I called Cancer Care here at Boundary Trails for some clarification. I knew that they also received the test results that Winnipeg had so I was hoping that they would put up with a mildly hysterical woman who needed answers. Well, they were very understanding. We made an appointment to see Dr. Woelk Tuesday morning.

Wes came and picked me up from work and a few minutes later we were sitting in the waiting room at Boundary Trails. I was very quiet, for those of you who have never experienced me in quiet mode, it only happens when I'm really scared or nervous. We didn't have a long wait before we were inside the room.

With a great deal of patience and care Dr. Woelk went through our MRI test with us and as he spoke my flood gates broke free. First of all, a part of the test result that we didn't hear on Friday was that there has not been any growth to the old tumor, so that is really good news. There is however a sliver of something that they have seen at the back of his brain, which by the way is NOT a blood clot!

What they suspect is that Wes has had a stroke during his brain surgery and that the MRI is showing that a small piece of his brain has been affected (basically it has died), but since Wes has shown no symptoms the doctor was explaining that there are situations where the brain will simply take over the tasks that the dead part was supposed to do.

And oh yeah, by the way, the type of stroke they are talking about is completely different than a stroke that you and I would be thinking of. I'm not sure how to explain that one properly, except to say that it's not like the hugely debilitating stroke that happens for older people. So, that was also a big relief for me considering Wes was going back on the road.

The reason that they want to do another MRI a little earlier (2 months) than the last time (4 months) is just to make sure that it is what they are suspecting and not further growth of the tumor or new growth. But, they are quite confident that this is not the case. I'm voting for answer #1.

You have no idea how that short appointment can change your perspective on the world around you for that moment in time. Having someone just take the time to properly explain something that can move a mountain of your emotions and helped to take away a bit of the stress from an already stressful life is truly a God thing.

Most of the doctors and technicians we have met don't know how God is using them, but that does not make them any less valuable in this journey and we are still very grateful for their intelligence and graciousness. But, for those in the medical field who do know Christ, I have to admit that there is a different air in the room when we are with them.

"For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing." 2 Corinthians 2:15

Comments

Anonymous said…
YEAH! Now THAT's good news!!!!!!!!!! Yes, certainly a god thing, all around.

So relieved for you and with you... both for the good news that Wes is doing great and back on the road... Thanking God with you,

stay warm now-- no more 'inspections' for you!
Marilyn Hart

Popular Posts