How do they do that?

They were women who blessed my heart, they touched my life with their grace and elegance and they encouraged spiritual growth in my walk with Christ. Their faces radiated with their love for God. They were each a part of my life at varying times, times when God knew that I needed them to be a part of my life. They were my encourager's.

The first woman was Helen, she was an older woman who was in a wheelchair. The ushers or a family member would wheel her in on a Sunday morning and place her beside the pews in the aisle, just in front of the sound booth. I remember her smile, a smile that was always ready for me when I walked down the aisle after a drama on a Sunday morning or if I had read scripture or done anything on stage. It really didn't seem to matter what I had done, she was watching and waiting. I knew when I walked down that aisle Helen would be there her beautiful smile in place. I remember her eyes and how they sparkled with warmth and love, her smile reached her eyes and made them shine. But, it is her touch that I miss the most. She's been gone now for many years but I can still feel the touch of her hand on mine. It wasn't a light pat on the hand or a limp sort of obligatory touch, but she would take my hand and hold it firmly so that I would pause in my busy stride and she could nod and whisper words of encouragement. Encouragement. That was her gift. Helen was an encourager.

Then there was Betty. She had the most beautiful snow white hair and gorgeous skin. She was a lady in every sense of the word. She had class and elegance, but there was something more, she knew how to touch someones life. She was gifted at writing notes and placing cards in my church mailbox, just when I needed them most. She allowed God to use her notes and cards to build a relationship, to comfort, to bring joy, but mostly to love. She did not only reserve these notes for special occasions only, but would give them because she cared, because she had prayed and I came to mind or sometimes it may have seemed to her that there was no reason at all, yet, God knew the reason. Betty was an encourager.

And then there was Velma. Beautiful, talented Velma. I used to watch her fingers dance along the piano keys, the instrument and her were like one. She had beautiful hands. She would literally be beaming when she could sit down and begin to play, whether it was for the Quartet or the Easter drama or a Sunday morning offertory. Her music was her gift from God and became her gift back to God. Her and I spent hours together walking for four miles every Monday morning and we spent that time talking, sharing and laughing. She knew when to listen and when to speak, she had the ability to offer a scripture verse when she knew I needed it. I remember her sharing the story of how she had to memorize hundreds of verses (I can't remember how many, but I know it was at least 200+) so that she could go to camp when she was a young girl and she also shared that that would be the only she could go to camp because they could not afford it otherwise. Those verses that she memorized as a young girl came back to her time and time again when she needed them not just for herself, but for others around her...like me. Velma was an encourager.

I miss these women. One by one they each passed away. You don't realize how much you need encourager's in your life until those whom God has placed in your path for just that purpose slip away. And the touch of their hand, the note in your mailbox or the voice quoting scripture that meant so much is no longer here.

Today in the office I was listening to bits and pieces of the funeral that was happening in the sanctuary and as I listened to a bit of the music and some of the words spoken of the godly woman that was being remembered my mind was drawn back to these three women who have touched my life in such an amazing way. They challenged me to grow, they wanted me to grow, they cared about me so much that they would use words and actions that would allow me to continue to grow.

I miss their gift of encouragement.

It's not a gift that everyone has.

We need to treasure those who have the ability to build you up and carry you over the rough patches simply by being in your life and they are not one of the many, but one of the few who have this gift.

This gift of encouragement.

My friend, your love has made me happy and has greatly encouraged me. It has also cheered the hearts of God's people. Philemon 1:7

Comments

Popular Posts