Love comes in a baking dish...

You want to know how much you are loved in this community? It's how well everyone feeds you when you are going through a tough time...wow!

Some of the meals have been arranged by our wonderful Caring Ministry from our Church (WMBC), our small group and others just show up and keep showing up. The baking, the full blown meals, we can hardly keep up! I told people when this journey first began that I wouldn't be shy about asking for help, but there has been no opportunity to do any asking because the food just keeps coming!

I divide it up and take some with us to the city and leave some at home for Mark to take to work and still it keeps coming! Our grocery bill has been almost non-existent except for the essentials like milk, butter, fruit and oh yeah, bottled water...sorry, but the Winnipeg water is just plain awful. Wes has a hard enough time choking down those 4 chemo pills every morning because of the awful taste of them so I've tried to make sure we have water on hand that he is able to drink. He also takes them with cran-raspberry juice, we don't know if that's cheating or not, but we figure that this would be part of a 'don't ask - don't tell' policy. Especially if we're looking at 2 years worth of chemo - yuch!

Chemo pills on an empty stomach, Dilanton on a full stomach (3x a day). So, guess what we're doing? Eating and eating and not much else. Wes is supposed to stay active to a degree, but he has to be careful not to overdo, so that is a very fine line to walk.

So, we sit and talk, go for a walk, nap, go for a walk, watch TV, go for a walk, work on the computer, go for a walk. Catching the rhythm here? But those walks only burn off what? Maybe 100 calories, course it depends how fast your walking, but Wes is in slow mode right now so maybe 50. Then if there's another meal or baked goods waiting for you when you get back from that walk, well, you can just pretend the walk never happened cause you'll be making up every one of those calories in one plateful.

So, yesterday, Friday, we were getting ready to go to town and when my favorite winter vest didn't really want to zip all the way up and well, I won't go into a big description on my dressing issues because it just gets ugly from there, that was when I realized that I need to quit enjoying all the 'lovin' from the oven as much as I do. But, its just so darn good!

Sunday mornings have become a horrible whirlwind at our house. Wes knows to stay away from the bedroom until I come out in an outfit complete with high heels.
A little advice here guys, 'If your girl comes out and she ain't wearin' heels with her outfit, just wait cause she ain't quite done changing yet!'

Wes can be shaving in the bathroom and I'll walk in and ask how something looks.

"You look fine" he'll respond, knowing the instant that he said it I'm going back in to the bedroom to change. I'm not happy with 'fine'!

Then I'll pass him in the hallway and he looks and mistakenly says, "You changed AGAIN?" Another piece of advice guys, don't bother with the commentaries when a woman is dressing it doesn't win you brownie points.

There are clothes from one end of the bed to the other, either something doesn't fit, doesn't match, doesn't hang right, out of fashion, just plain ugly or it's 'what was I thinking when I bought this?'. How is it that we are so excited to have a walk in closet and we generously give our husbands the smallest rod to hang his clothes on (cause he only has those two outfits for Sunday, one for winter and one for summer) and we take the rest - shelves and all and still it's not enough and still there's nothing to wear!

Wes and I were out walking this morning and I said "If I would just quit eating all that amazing food we keep getting I could probably drop 30 or 40 pounds easy and could you imagine the wardrobe I'd have?" (Yes, I still have some of my dresses from the 90's, one day I might fit into them again right?)

Wes just smiles, he knows better than to respond to that one. That's a good husband!

So, this is my humorous way of saying 'thank you' to all our little bakers and chefs. You've outdone yourselves! But from the bottom of our hearts and the top end of our scale...we say 'thank you!'

And I hope you'll still love me when I weigh 400 lbs!!

"We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love..." Thessalonians 1:3

Comments

Popular Posts