"If anyone has ears..."

I don't know how many of you receive the MB Herald, but one of my favorite writers for this magazine is James Toews.
In the October 2008 issue he shares about how he started listening to the scriptures on his ipod. And how listening to the scriptures for 20 minutes a day while he walked his dog taught him to hear the Bible with different ears.

'Now when I listen' he writes 'I imagine myself standing among the crowds when Ezra the priest "read it aloud from daybreak till noon...in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively" (Nehemiah 8:3)

He concludes by saying "Unlike any generation before us, we are bombarded with messages directed into our ears. They are flooded with information from the moment we rise. We've had to learn to hear to survive - but are we hearing the Scriptures? Is it possible that when Jesus said, "If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear," (Mark 4:23) he also meant it literally?

Wes has been listening to the Scriptures first by cassette and then by CD for years while he drove truck and I was often amazed at how he would often know the answer to a question I had or he would source out answers for questions that were brought to the deacon table by listening to the Word. I have always preferred to read the Bible, however, I have now been seriously contemplating saving up for an MP3 player or ipod so that I can include listening to scriptures as well as reading.

Is it possible that the Scriptures were actually designed to be heard rather than read?
From the time that Wes has been diagnosed he has been at peace. His comment was this; "Whether I live or whether I die...I win" If I die, I am with Christ, if I live, I am with my family. He has had such a calmness from the beginning, someone asked me again today if he sleeps well and I can tell you in all honesty that he has not lost one night's sleep over this battle. He accepted right from the start that the battle is not his, but it is the Lord's decision for him to live or die and that gives him peace.

He admits that he had known for awhile already that something was wrong and had been praying since spring that God would reveal whatever it was and he has. So, he says, I asked, God answered and because he answered I know he has a plan and I don't know how that plan will play out and right now, I would like to stay with my family if that's His will, but I am confident that whatever happens, he will do what is best for me.

Wes has spent the last number of years listening to God, not only through his prayer times, but through listening to God's Word. I believe his contentment at this time comes from his filling his mind and heart with the word of God. I never really understood that as much as I have in these past few weeks. I envy him. All this time whether Wes knew it or not, he was being prepared for this moment and so God has blessed him for his faithfulness, by giving him the peace that he has...you know, the one that passes all understanding...
"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

So, it all boils down to this. These moments of struggles and storms are going to come into all of our lives, cause guess what...we're all dying, every one of us.
There will be no one exempt from the walk through death's door, our choice is where will we go when we walk through it. Will Christ be waiting on the other side to welcome you home or will you walk through to spend eternity in hell? Hell is real and there is no living in denial on that one. So the choice is there for each of us...

Going to church won't save you, living in a so called 'Christian' community won't rescue you, simply saying that 'you believe in God' won't cut it, this is a personal decision between you and Christ and He's waiting for you...the only thing that will give you peace about death is knowing that you have asked Jesus Christ to be your Savior and having done that you are guaranteed a free ticket to Heaven. That's it. Nothing else.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24


Through God’s grace given to us through Jesus Christ we have the right to claim eternal life. The process is as easy as A, B, C.

Admit that you have sinned. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

Believe that God paid for your sin. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

Commit your life to Jesus Christ. “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe his His name.” (John 1:12)

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:13-14


Please be one of the few...that is my prayer for you today...please be one of the few!




Comments

Popular Posts