A Love Letter




Dear Wes,


Today would have been our 34th wedding anniversary.  Ive begun this letter a few times; never quite sure how to go beyond...Dear Wes


How do I begin to share about the life I live now after death did us part?


We are surviving, we move ahead, but not quite with the same joy we had when you were here.  The little ones are growing, Brooklyn has a few teeth now and shes standing up along the furniture now.  Kinsley is still as busy and quirky as ever, she still talks about Papa The other day I heard her singing, Papa, papa, papaDominic and Blaique are growing up so fast.  They would like to ride their bikes without training wheels and I know that you would have taken the time to run alongside them as they learned, holding their bikes in place until they got their balance, cheering them on.  They still ask about you too.  Blaique often mentions how much she misses you and there are very few pictures she draws for me that you arent in.


For all of us life is not the same, yet there are moments when I see glimpses of you in our sons.  Your devotion to work and family is reflected in both and they often echo your dry sense of humor. They are expressions of your legacy: the proof of us. I think Tina misses how you cared for our family and especially for her, Im pretty sure you spoiled her a bit since you never had a daughter to do that for and Im so glad you could do that in the short time she had with you.


We sang Great are You Lord in church this morning, it was hard singing that song since we sang it at your funeral, but it was good to praise God even through the tears.   


Nic surprised me at church today, he knew it would be a hard day and he wanted to be there for me.  That meant a lot.  He even took me out for lunch since he knew he wouldnt be around for Mothers day.  We had a good afternoon.  We reminisced a lot about you, rehashing stories that you would tell us about things that happened to you on the road or here on the farm.  Lots of laughter.


Sometimes its hard to know how to live here without you.  Often when Im with a crowd of people I want nothing more than to go home and be alone and then when Im home alone I sometimes long to be with people.  I said to someone the other day that I can walk into the office laughing and talking and within 5 minutes I can be crying because I miss you so much. Its crazy how this grieving thing plays with your emotions.  I forget things a lot more easily now, I have to put every single appointment or lunch and coffee date in my phone or I cant remember when, where or who Im meeting.  I sometimes have to ask everyone at work to repeat instructions because if I dont write it down I may not remember by the time I walk away from their desk.  I used to feel so on top of things and now so often I feel that I cant keep my life in order.


Im still keeping the truck running like you asked me too.  Riley is a good driver and hes a very kind young gentleman.  Hes going to be a dad and I know hell be a good dad.  You would have really enjoyed working with him.  Hes taking such good care of your truck and hes going to help me take care of the yard so I can stay on the farm and I know that that would ease your mind. I dont want to be anywhere else right now because this is where all our memories are and I think you of all people would totally understand that.


It was so warm out today, I wish we could sit on the deck and talk like we used too or go for a ride in the hills and I could listen to you reminisce about spending time out there with Grandpa Giesbrecht and Uncle Peter & Aunt Vicky.  I miss spilling my heart out to you when Im feeling hurt or misunderstood, because you always had my back; I wish you were here to give me advice or to encourage me and I especially miss laughing with you.  I really miss your smirk and quick wink to let me know you love me.


I had a dream about you this week, I think because last Sunday marked 5 months since you passed and because our anniversary was coming up my thoughts have been completely focused on you.  But, the dream was very comforting.  You were playing with a bunch of children, calling them over to you and you had a large box that you wanted to show them.  It was suspended off the ground and you were laughing and teasing them.  You touched the top of the box and it opened from the bottom and all sorts of toys fell out for the kids to play with and they were so excited.  I saw you laughing because you saw that the children were so happy.  I cant even imagine what you are experiencing in Heaven, but Im grateful for every glimpse of Heaven God does give me and hes given me some pretty amazing glimpses.  You always said that we need to trust that God will give us what we need when we need it and he has.


I think youd be proud of me, I bought a truck just like we talked about and West Park was as kind as theyve always been and now the boys dont have to worry quite so much about me being out on the road in an unreliable vehicle.  I managed to put the swings up for the grandbabies, I changed the filter in the furnace and Ive been using your tools to fix little things around the house. 


Oh, and before I forget, I found the note that you had hidden away in your sock drawer.  The one that I had written, oh I dont know, probably years ago.  I never realized how much you treasured all the notes I wrote to you over the years.  Ive been finding them here and there tucked lovingly away.  You were always way more romantic than you led anyone to believe.


Well, we didnt make it to our 34th anniversary, but as I told you over and over in the hospital, Thank you for the best 33 years of my life!  Im so glad I got to spend them with you!  I can hardly wait to see you again!  What a day that will be!


Lately Ive been listening to the song Thy Will Be Done, by Hillary Scott.  Its beautiful and shares whats on my heart better than I can put into words.







                                         I miss you so much!

                                    With all my love,

                                          Dinah

Comments

Popular Posts