Took some convincing for Eva to start rolling...
But, once she got going...

She had no problem filling up the pans!!!

She also wanted to try her hand at cinnamon buns...it was a great day!!
"Will you teach me how to make buns?" Eva asked a few weeks ago.
"Sure!" I replied all the while my mind is rolling...I haven't baked buns for a while, I hope I remember how.
We planned on a date and excitedly waited for the big day to arrive.
Friday morning I first met Wes at the hospital because it was time for his blood work before his next round of chemo which begins again the week after next. Though getting his blood taken seems like no big deal it's still always the wake-up call that another month has slipped by and chemo is just around the corner again.
I then drove to Plum Coulee and picked Eva up for the day. We drove back to our house chattering happily all the way. We spent the next few hours working side by side in our kitchen. I had never taught anyone how to bake before so this was a bit nerve wracking for me, but once we started there was no stopping us.
It didn't take long and we had the bread on the rise and I asked if there was anything else she wanted to try. After a short discussion we decided on cinnamon buns. I whipped out another one of my recipe books and turned to my favorite recipe for these sticky delights. I held the book so that Eva could see the page more clearly.
"See," I said pointing at the numerous food stains on the page "that's how you can tell it's a favorite and loved recipe!"
We laughed and began to bring this recipe to life.
I sat at the island and watched her measure and mix only adding my two cents worth when it was important.
Time seemed to just fly by and before we knew it we had the oven heating up and the pans began filing in one at a time. Though I had the privilege of being the teacher, you cannot be an effective one without a willing student and Eva was more than willing.
At night I lay awake for awhile thinking about the day and after running through all the different things that I had tried to show Eva I realized that in a few areas I had come short. Ah well, she had already been asking if we could do this again so I knew I would have another opportunity to be a better teacher.
This whole day gently reminded me that I need to be thankful that God is the master instructor in my life...now if only I would stop interrupting Him and learn to listen more I probably wouldn't spend quite so much time laying awake at night worrying about why I didn't hear Him better.

"Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life." Proverbs 4:13

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wonderful connection for the two of you to make...... Your insights and connections from your day always hit home.

Marilyn Hart

Popular Posts