PARAMEDIC


She walked into Coffee Culture self-assured, with an air of professionalism as she moved to the counter.  I watched her as she placed her order and I studied her clothing.  After all that was the first thing that caught my eye when she walked in.  I noted the reflective striping on the base of the pants, the EMS badge on her shirt sleeve and finally the letters on her back.  PARAMEDIC.  I swallowed the bite of Caesar salad that I had just put in my mouth with some difficulty.  Just seeing that uniform brought back a flood of painful memories.  No, I didn’t know this woman, but, I knew other paramedics just like her, because they had been in our home many times.  All of those others, part of a special team of people that had come so faithfully and so quickly every time I called 911 last year.  I looked down at my salad not really interested in taking another bite, but more worried that I would have an awkward breakdown.  I rubbed my forehead willing myself to get my emotions under control and then I glanced up at her again.  That word on the back of her shirt was more than just a classification of what she was trained for, it was a characterization of who she was.  As I sat there I felt God gently speak to my heart, you should say ‘thank you’.  I moved my croutons around in my plate thinking how awkward that would be and besides she probably wouldn’t stick around that long, so it wouldn’t pay for me to get up and go to her.

You should go.  There will be time.

She stayed standing there, casually leaning against the railing patiently waiting for her food.

I took a deep breath, put down my fork and stood up.

I walked around the railing and lightly tapped her on her arm.  She turned to me looking quite serious.  Who knows what she thought I was going to say to her.  And can you blame her?  Here she is just trying to get takeout and this woman who she doesn't know comes over nervous and self-conscious and wants what?  I'd be a little put off myself if I was her!

I gave her a timid smile, “Hi, you don’t know me, but I noticed your outfit…” yes, I said outfit instead of uniform…not just once but TWICE!  Good grief!  Talk about socially awkward!

She turned toward me with a smile and it was that same look of compassion I saw on every single paramedic that ever walked into our home.  And I realized that by turning to face me she was respectfully giving me her full attention.  I swallowed hard and cleared my throat.

“I just wanted to say ‘thank you’ for the work that you do.  My husband needed the ambulance a number of times last year and every time the paramedics came they were so professional, but most of all they were caring and compassionate and I just wanted to say ‘thank you’ for your service.”

She simply smiled and then asked my husband’s name.

She didn’t just say thank you and turn away.  She was going to take the time to talk.

Ok, so yeah, that’s when the tears fell, just a bit.

She said she was glad that Wes had received the help he needed.  I thanked her again and turned to go back to my salad, but she wasn’t quite done.

She asked how I was doing.  I told her I have great kids and beautiful grandkids who have been beside me no matter what.  I said that I have a wonderfully loving family, my friends and neighbors continue to be extremely supportive and my church family has not stopped expressing their love and concern.  Yeah, I’m doing ok.  One day at a time, that's all I can do.

She smiled, then nodded and told me that she was glad that I had so much support.

Her food was ready so I touched her arm again (yes, I’m that touchy feely person) and said, “Thank you again for the work that you do!”

I walked back to my booth and she walked out the door.  I watched her go to her truck and I quietly thanked God for people like her who are willing to stand in the gap for hurting strangers.  Like us.  Like any of us.

So, here we were two strangers who in that moment were only connected by the letters on the back of her shirt.

The definition of a paramedic is - a person trained to give emergency medical care to people who are seriously ill with the aim of stabilizing them before they are taken to the hospital.

Seems like a very simple definition for some very complicated work that involves body, mind and spirit.  For me and I know also for Wes, every single time they walked through our door they didn’t just exhibit the knowledge of their training, they extended care and compassion.  They carried us through a very dark and painful time in our journey.  And for that I will always be grateful to them.



Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2 


Comments

Popular Posts