Good Good Father


Over the weeks many people have talked to me about how difficult many of those firsts will be.  However, a couple of those firsts came pretty quickly, like a couple of weeks after Wes died we were already forced to celebrate his 55th birthday without him and then the following week we had our first Christmas without him.  So, yes, the firsts are extremely difficult.  But, there are also lasts.  A number of weeks ago I went through a very tough last, one that I had been putting off for a while.  Wes’ laundry.  I knew this was going to be a painful time and so procrastinating seemed like a much better option. Every  t-shirt that I pulled out of the hamper had a memory attached to it.  His Coca-Cola t-shirt that he picked up in North Carolina, his rugby shirt from Ireland, his blue jays t-shirt and a few of his favorite golf shirts.  I held each t-shirt to my face breathing deeply, remembering the scent of him, before I carefully placed them into the washer.  Then a while later I pulled them out of the dryer and lovingly folded them one last time.  I sat down beside the little pile of his laundry and cried my heart out. 

Lasts are definitely not easy.

Recently I walked out onto our back deck to check my dryer vent that is on the west wall of the house and as I stepped out onto the deck I nearly doubled over.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw the little alcove that’s on our deck and I remember the last time we sat there.  It was last summer and it was a hot afternoon and the only shade we could find was in that small niche.  Wes was having a good day, he didn’t even nap that afternoon and we had such a great conversation, we were reminiscing, laughing and watching the grandkids play.  That was the last time we relaxed together on the deck.  The pain of remembering that experience was sudden, it caught me completely off guard and caused me to immediately stop in my tracks, but, it’s as if God needs to stop you in your tracks because he’s offering you a beautiful visual of that one sliver of a moment in your life and he doesn’t want you to miss it.

The pain slowly ebbs away and then the memory literally comes to life right in front of you.  You see that moment being played out before your eyes and it’s so real that you can hardly breathe.  It’s hard to explain unless you experience it, let’s see, how can I say this, it’s not just about the seemingly simple act of remembering or reminiscing about something random, but God takes a specific scene from your life and blesses you with a complete image of that particular time.  It’s like God wants to remind me that he knows every detail of the life I shared here on earth with Wes and that every one of those moments was so very important.  It’s like he’s telling me that he’s seeing and celebrating all those good times with me and that these memories will continue to be a part of the ongoing experience of my life and that it’s okay to remember even though it hurts.

And that’s a gift straight from Heaven.

Grieving will leave you emotionally drained and terribly broken, yet somehow through all the pain there is a small window that God opens for you and through it you can experience moments of peace.  I’ve come to realize that I can’t run from my grief and that the waterfall of tears that I often cry is a part of the healing process.  Grief hits you like a really bad labor pain, you feel it coming, you know it’s going to hurt, but you have to breathe through it and know that God is holding your hand every second.  The pain will subside for that moment and when you understand that God is there from beginning to end you also realize that he brings with him healing, light and hope.  

I stood on the deck, in the cold, on my socks and simply stared into that corner alcove.  The tears froze on my face as I embraced the vision that God was blessing me with, this wonderfully clear glimpse into the happiness that we shared on that lazy Sunday and it is in that moment that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was there with us that afternoon, smiling, maybe even laughing with us, holding us close, creating for us a special moment in our life together because he knew that not too far down the road I would need to be reminded of this wonderful time and that life was good, so very good. 

It was God’s gift to me and I accepted it.

Often I feel as though I’m caught in some weird type of time warp.  I’m moving forward but there is a current that continually pulls me back and reminds me that my life has been forever changed.  And I realize, even as it’s happening that I can either fight or embrace those moments.  I find when I embrace them and simply stop and wait for the Father to show me what he has to teach me in that moment I am blessed and I experience God’s overwhelming love for me.   I also know that when I stop and listen for God’s voice during those times that it becomes obvious that he is reminding me over and over that he loves me and that he’s there in the midst of the pain and he does that by jogging my memory with beautiful moments that are filled with reminders of my husband’s love for me, our little family’s love for one another and ultimately helps me to refocus on God’s love for me as well.

I grieve because I have loved and been loved, God grieves with me because he is love.

So, I’ve learned that grief is not about goodbye; it’s not even about letting go.  It’s about embracing the life I had and feeling privileged to have experienced the love that I did with Wes, as painful as that still is.   And I know that I will always need to trust that God will carry me for as long and as far as he needs too, which will be until I can join him and Wes in Heaven.  God is ever so patient and these past months he has blessed me beyond what I could have ever asked or imagined.  Throughout our marriage, no matter what was happening Wes always told me, “Don’t worry, God will take care of us!” and what a gift those words have been to me these past months.

Wes was so right!  God has taken care of me and surprised me over and over again.  He really is a good good father.



Comments

Popular Posts