The Power of Words

May 9, 1999...he said he remembered that conversation like it happened yesterday.  My mind was blank, how could I not remember such an important conversation?
I racked my brain, but, nothing.
He continued, telling me in great detail about the day I had come to see him, the circumstances that began the conversation and the end result.  He recited from memory the one line that had stuck with him and his wife, a line that would move them into a new direction in their lives.
Still my mind was struggling to recall even the tiniest detail of what he was talking about...nope nothing.
H said 'Thank you!'...a few times.
His eyes were shining with emotion. 
That conversation, he told me, changed the course of his family's life and extended beyond.  I won't offer the details of the story because I don't have permission from his family to do so, but it was humbling to say the least and a little disconcerting when I still couldn't remember the conversation.  But, I was pleased that God used those few words that I had spoken so innocently as a catalyst for something positive to happen in someone's life.  We don't often get a glimpse of how effective the words that we speak can be for others.
Today I took some time to go through My Documents to clean up some old files and one folder caught my eye, it was named 'Family Letters'.  Hmmm, wonder what that is about?
I opened it up and saw a whole list of names beside a whole bunch of little outlook envelopes and I still wasn't why this folder was important enough for me to keep.  I clicked on the first envelope and it opened up to show me a beautiful letter written by good friends of ours right after Wes' diagnosis in 2008.  I clicked on the next envelope and the next, reading through the long line of notes that were filled with love, compassion, scripture verses and offers of care.  I cried as the memories of Wes' diagnosis, surgery and treatments came back, but more importantly I was crying at the love of these many people came through loud and clear in each note.  The memories of the care and concern of family and friends who walked us through that difficult time and who continue to do so touched my heart...all over again.   
This month...right now in fact...marks four years in Wes' recovery.
I asked for prayer for Wes for healing...the letters promised constant prayers.
I asked for prayer for our sons and myself for strength...more promises to pray.
I asked for peace of mind...scripture verses were sent.
I asked for prayer for a driver for our truck, a change in my work schedule, confidence to make a move to the city for Wes' treatments...words of encouragement, carefully written prayers, offers of help and offers of food.  Whatever we needed, people were ready to give...I choked back more tears.  They were gifts, little gifts in tiny Outlook envelopes that had the power to change our world because they carried the power of God's love.  They've carried us for the past four years.
And just like I had forgotten about the conversation I had with this gentleman back in 1999, I had of course forgotten about all these notes as well and so I believe that God was reminding me.  Reminding me to be thankful, to Him, to our family, to our friends and even to strangers who loved us through this tough time.
You know our words whether written or spoken have the power to build up, to carry, to strengthen, to offer peace, to pass on God's word and yes, sad to say they even have the power to destroy.
Some conversations I've had in my lifetime have helped others around me and still some conversations that I recall cause me to hang me head in shame because they tore someone apart.
God wants us to use the power of our words to offer others the power of His...I need to change up my words for His...everyone needs to be built up, because everyone is going through something.

It may seem like a small thing this changing how our conversations go, but the Bible reminds us that it can be those small things that have the power to change the world around us.

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. James 3:3

Comments

Popular Posts