Does God Cry?

I sat on my haunches on the gravel beside the garage, the tears rolling down my cheeks as I protected the tiny baby robin from the dog.  Where the dog had picked the little guy up I don't know and right now I didn't care because he was crying for his mom.  I looked him over and he didn't appear to be hurt, simply ruffled, scared and probably very hungry.  Wes didn't know what to do, especially when he saw how upset I was getting and deep down I knew I didn't even want to try and feed the baby because he probably wouldn't survive anyway.  But, I just couldn't walk away and leave him to his awful fate with the dog.  So, what to do?
Wes kept coming back when he saw I wasn't moving and asked, for the fourth time, "So, what do you want to do?"
"I don't know, I just know I don't want to walk away because the dog is just going to play with it until it's dead!"  And as the baby bird cried for his mom I cried for him.
"Should I get a box?"
I sniffed, "Please"
Wes walked into the garage and got an old orange box, then carefully lifted the baby into the box.  The bird flapped and zipped around the box trying to escape as I tried to calm him down.  We put him in the garage away from the dog and after we confirmed that he couldn't hop out of the box we walked into the house.  I grabbed the phone and called the vet clinic to find out what my options were.
The friendly voice at the other end of the line offered me two numbers to call.  I tried the first only to hear an answering machine, then I called the second and again a friendly voice answered the phone.  I explained the situation, feeling a little foolish, however, the girl I spoke with didn't make me feel silly and she never once hesitated with a solution.
"Can you bring the bird in tomorrow?" she asked, explaining that they were located in Ile Des Chene.
Shoot, I had to work, plus, I explained where we lived and that we were just over an hour away from Ile Des Chene.
"Not a problem, there is a trucking company that helps us out when there are animals that need to be brought in, I'll call you back with more information."  Seriously?
I gave her my name and phone number.  About 20 minutes later she called back and the arrangements were made.  She gave me some final instructions on how to mark the box and that there were two phone numbers that needed to be posted on the box as well.  Numbers that should be called whenever the bird arrives in Winnipeg so they could come and pick him up.  
So, hopefully the baby survives the night after his harrowing time with the dog and then I'll drop him off first thing in the morning with the trucking company and he will be off to the Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre, where they will take care of him and release him back into his own world.  
Earlier when I was sitting beside the bird just watching him crying out over and over, protecting him from the dog and my tears were running I wondered, "Did God get to this point when He decided to send His Son for us?  Did He watch us struggle, crying out, while danger circled waiting to devour?  Did His own tears roll for His children who were lost?"
This is only one bird out of the billions out there, but, he mattered...to me.
You are only one out of 7.021 billion in the world...but, you matter...to God.  
He knows the number of hairs on your head.
He has adopted you as His own.
No one will ever love you and care for you more than the Father.
You are His.  


"In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish." 
Matthew 18:14

Comments

Popular Posts