Can I Speak to the Supervisor?

Yesterday at work I was having some issues placing an order with a company online.  After numerous tries Kayla and I realized that I would need to call to find out what the problem was.  I called the 800 number and waited patiently for someone to help me out.  The elevator music was playing some unfamiliar tune and I began doodling on a scrap piece of paper on my desk.  The music was interrupted by a recorded message stating that my call may be recorded to monitor quality assurance.  OK, no problem.  Soon a young woman came to the phone and after identifying myself, answering a number of security questions and confirming what the issue was she finally stated that she would have to ask her supervisor to come to the phone to help me out.  OK, no problem.
He came onto the line a short time later and with a cheerful tone he quickly assessed the issue and then a minute or two after that said that he would have everything ready to go.  I would only need to wait about 5 minutes after I hung up the phone to finish the order, but there should be no more issues.
He asked, as per usual, if I had any other questions or concerns and when I assured him I was good to go he commented that he was pleased that he could help.
I said, "Well, I really appreciate all your help with this.  Thank you!"
To which he replied, "Well I appreciate you..uh, that you...uh...that I...uh...hmmm...well, I appreciate that you appreciated all the help!" and then he burst out laughing and so did I.
During the night as I was tossing and turning this conversation came back to me and even though it still made me smile, it got me to thinking too.  How often don't we model our communication with God exactly like a large corporation's customer service procedure?
When we have an issue, problem or concern we, first of all, try desperately to fix things ourselves.  Sometimes numerous tries, to no avail.  Then when that doesn't work we go to our spouse, family or best friend and see if they have a solution and only when that doesn't work then we go to God.
Oh, I'm not saying that God doesn't use our friends or families to guide us in the right direction, but more often than not wouldn't we save ourselves a whole boatload of time by just going straight to the One who has the solution we are searching for?
Recently at our staff prayer time our custodian Dave was praying and in his prayer he said, "Thank you Father that you have the solutions even before we have the problem!"  What an amazing truth!
And so, if that is the truth, then why do we have a habit of going to Him as a last resort?

The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.  Psalm 145:18

Comments

Popular Posts