Love Me Tender

This morning I had the privilege of babysitting our beautiful granddaughter Blaique.  As soon as mommy was out the door I gave Blaique her breakfast and then promised her a fun stroller ride to Tim Horton's, of course she was thrilled.  I packed all the necessities into the stroller, her hat, jacket, a spare diaper, my wallet and of course Blaique!  We enjoyed a leisurely walk to Tim's, shared a blueberry muffin in between lots of kisses and hugs.  We headed back feeling the sun beginning to get warmer and warmer as we walked along and I was very thankful for the small amount of shade each tree offered along the sidewalk.  We got back to the house and as I puttered around Blaique played in her assigned cupboard, you know, the one we all had for our kids, the one with all plastic bowls that can be pulled in and out and provide minutes of fun!  She was content for quite some time but then suddenly she came and pulled on my pants leg and began to rub her eyes.  Uh oh, someone was feeling pretty sleepy.  I picked her up and we went to get her blanket out of her crib.  I asked if she wanted to snuggle on the couch and she answered by laying her head on my shoulder and saying 'ah ah'...her way of expressing love. 

So, I sat down on the couch and we snuggled together and when I covered her with the blanket her eyes began to drift shut.  It didn't take very long and she was completely out and I was completely content. As I sat there cuddling her, admiring her long eyelashes, examining her tiny clenched fist resting by her cheek and constantly planting tiny kisses on the top of her head I was overwhelmed again, as I often have been, by the powerful love that I have for that little girl.  I wondered about that for a moment as I watched her and asked God, what is it that gives me this overwhelming love, after all, I remember holding our boys in the same way, just quietly treasuring that tender moment with them when they were babies.  But this, I don't know, it's just so different.  Maybe it's the awareness that you have gained as a parent because you've been in this baby world before.  You've been there done that, but, this being a Grandma thing is just so different.  It's like when you hold them you can go back in time and you can freeze moments...not for long, but it's the memories that make you stop and realize how much you can completely and fully love someone.  No strings attached.
I think it's a combination of memories past, present and future that builds up a Grandmother's love to such a level of devotion that there is nothing that can break that cord of love.  That little bundle represents life and a loving relationship in a way that brings you back in time to remind you of your ability to love unconditionally, it draws you into the present and reminds you that that same capability to love that you had years ago has never left you and it is a promise that the future will continue to hold love. 
Blaique began to move around and I knew in a moment that she would wake up.  She did.  I was expecting the sleep crinkles in her face.  They were there.  I knew that one side of her head would be sweaty and the hair would be mussed up and curly.  It was.  I knew that it would take a moment for her eyes to focus and realize that she wasn't sleeping in her crib, but cuddling with Grandma on the couch.  They did.  And then it happened.  That sleepy grin with those baby teeth peeking through, a quiet little giggle that said she was pretty happy to be exactly where she was.  And so was I.
Later on as I was thinking about that morning I thanked God for that time, I thanked Him for reminding me of how deeply we as human beings are capable of loving and I thanked Him for being so much more than that for us.  He is that Presence that offers unconditional, no strings attached, deep down, absolute, completely fulfilling, overwhelming, always forgiving, compassionate, tender kind of love. 
He is that Father that treasures those moments when He can hold you and you are completely at peace.  He watches you breathe, He is content to be right where you are. He knows every little detail about you, every move you make He knows before you make it.  And no matter what you are going through He is right there holding you, pouring out every ounce of love He has for you into your very being.  His eyes know every crease and wrinkle, He waits for your eyes to focus on Him, He adores every hair on your head, that's why He knows how many there are.  He treasures every moment you want to spend with Him, that's why He patiently waits for you to see Him right there holding you.  He loves you with a love that encompasses the past, present and future.  And He reminds us that His love will continue no matter what.
Why is it sometimes so hard for us to get that part?
We promise that so easily and with so much passion to our children and our grandchildren and if we're lucky, we will promise it to our great grandchildren.
And still, God's promise is like that and yet, so much more!
 
"God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us." Romans 5:5

Comments

Popular Posts