The Gift That Keeps On Giving


May 6, 1984, the day started out cloudy and cool.  By the time we made it to the church it had started to rain, not pouring rain just more like a sprinkling of rain.  Our guests told us that it was God pouring out His blessing on our marriage.  Now, 29 years later I think, you know, they might have been right on that one. 

Growing up I was an avid reader and movie watcher.  I loved reading love stories or watching many love stories come to life on our small black and white TV.  I was a big Doris Day and Rock Hudson fan.  A lot of girls my age swooned over Rock Hudson, he was the perfect tall, dark and handsome man, every woman's dream...or so we thought...but that's another story.

This morning I was sitting and reminiscing in my own mind about our imperfect yet happy life together.  Everyone dreams of finding that perfect person, but perfection is elusive and unrealistic because there is no one that is perfect, but finding the one that God means for you to be with now that is a gift.

As I thought about my husband I remembered all the phrases that were used back in the day in books and movies and thought it would be fun to see how he fulfilled those fairy tale roles.  So here you go...

He's my;

Prince Charming:  He will always open the door for me, no matter where we are.  When we walk between parked cars he will always step back so that I go first.  He will make sure that when we are walking anywhere near traffic that he is the one closest to the road.  When we walk together on a sidewalk he will always reach for my hand.  If I start to slip on some ice in the winter he is always quick to reach out and hold me up.  He will often tell me how beautiful I am and how proud he is of me.  He will even gently tell me when he thinks that I'm on the wrong track and that I need to change my way of thinking about a situation or a person.  He loves unconditionally and forgives quickly.  He doesn't give up, even when I don't want to tell him why I'm upset.  He knows how to wait for me to share with him why I'm frustrated.  He knows how to make me feel like a princess.

The Boy Next Door:  He's still got the little boy smile that just makes me smile back at him for no reason.  He's got those baby blues that sparkle when he's happy and they can get pretty dark when he's not...more often than not throughout the 29 years, I've seen the sparkle.  He makes me laugh, all the time, no one knows how to make me laugh like he does!  We can sit and talk for hours about nothing in particular.  We can sit in silence and be completely content. 

Knight in Shining Armor: He is my rock and my protector.  He asks the hard questions so that I am challenged to grow stronger.  He is my soft place to fall when I am broken and tired.  He knows the woman I am when no one else is around.  He wipes away my tears when I am sad or afraid.  He puts up a wall between me and the world when people or situations threaten to tear me apart.  He hurts when I hurt.  He knows how to make me feel better about myself more than I sometimes deserve.  He calls me, a lot, just to see how my day is going or to share with me something about his day.  He prays for me, daily.  A knight is not so much about strength but more about the man beneath the armor.

Dream Boat: We've both grown, in many ways but mostly around the middle, yet the attraction is still there.  We have wrinkles well earned from life and worry, but God gives us rose-coloured glasses that are hazy enough so that our aging is not all that we see.  Wes does not leave the house without a kiss...if I'm awake that is.  I recognize his walk and his voice from a long way off.  He's self-conscious of his bald head and the horseshoe shaped scar but I tell him that I love him bald and I mean it! And that scar?  Well, it is our constant and beautiful reminder that we never forget the amazing grace of God and that we don't take any day for granted.  

Maya Angelou said ,"A woman's heart must be so hidden in God that a man has to seek Him just to find her!"  I love the imagery this quote gives.  The challenge for all of us to make sure that God is at the center of our intimate love.

And still God's word says it even better about all our loves here on earth...

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

Comments

Popular Posts