"I understand"

I looked into her eyes and I felt my heart in my throat as I struggled to know what to say. She was briefly trying to share her 'moments'. Moments of fear and conversations with God. Ours wasn't a long conversation, it couldn't be, her son was pulling on her arm, needing her attention.

I could see the fear and tears in her eyes as she spoke. I knew somewhat the things she was feeling, in some ways, but not in every way. I had felt and still feel some of those same fears, the 'what ifs' until they overwhelm. I stood there listening, powerless. The people in the church foyer continued to move around us, chasing after their little ones, shaking hands with friends and neighbors, having conversations. I could hear their laughter and noticed their motion out of the corner of my eye, but I never took my eyes off of her. Though we were in a crowded foyer it felt as though we were alone. I knew that I could not change her situation simply by listening, but I could stay with her in this moment.

What can you say to someone who is in the midst of their own journey? You can physically hold them for a moment, I had already done that. You can smile and nod politely as they open up a tiny portion of their heart and life, I was doing that now. She needed more, but what? I had nothing to offer and she needed to go. I stood in front of her feeling helpless and finally I reached across and touched her arm.

" I understand" I said quietly, all the while thinking 'that sounds so lame'

She smiled sadly and said "I knew you would" and turned to walk away. I swallowed hard and turned to walk back to the sound booth. Partly to get back to work and partly to catch my breath. God was working on my heart.

That's it God isn't it? At least partly...right?

Your answer was 'no' to Jesus when He was in the garden and begged you to take the cup from Him. You watched as Your Son was beaten and crucified. You turned your face away when He cried out from the cross, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me!"

But, I know that this was not done without Your own anguish and purpose.

There will come a moment in everyone's life when we will be asked to experience that cup of suffering...Yet you are not really silent, are You? Your Spirit, Your Comforter, Your Helper is here with us. Has never left from the moment we asked You into our hearts.

And it is when we walk through these times of uncertainty and grief, when we have no where else to turn and we beg you to take this cup from us Your answer may remain 'no', but it is followed by two that wrap our weary and broken hearts in your love..."I understand"...of course you do....Your God.

"To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are His..." Job 12:13



Comments

Popular Posts