Falling for you...

Last week I had an interesting end to my week. It was one of those days, I'm sure you've had them. A day when it feels like the hands on your watch are spinning faster every time you look at it.
That day I was in a hurry and when I'm in a hurry I walk with my head down at full speed. I was on my way to the sound booth and I noted that Dave was in the foyer vacuuming the rug but, other than that I didn't notice anything because my mind was on the videos that I needed to run through for the weekend.
I had entered the sanctuary and was making my up the stairs into the sound booth. Now, if you never been in our church sound booth it is about three feet off the ground, so there are about three stairs and there is a four foot wall behind the booth so when you stand in the booth people looking in can only see the top half of you.
Well, I had only made it to the top step, which means my head was probably the only thing visible to the foyer, when my heel hooked into the cuff of my pant and down I went. I fell to the floor in a not-so-graceful heap, breaking my fall with my left wrist and leg and all I could think of was, "I bet Dave is wondering what in the world is going on? First her head is there in the window and then it's gone and a short while later it pops up again." Well, to be honest it didn't pop back up that quickly, after forty there's not too much that pops back up quickly, if at all.
I knelt there for awhile trying to decide whether to laugh or moan in pain. My wrist was throbbing, my leg pounding, but I got up and calmly limped over to the computer, never once looking over the wall to see if Dave was doubled over laughing. I gingerly sat down and switched the computer on when I realized that if I wanted sound I would have to walk all the way to the front of the sanctuary, turn on the amps and then come back to get everything to play. With a sigh, I got up, slid open the roller cabinet to turn on the main power for the sound system and slowly, ever so slowly walked the long aisle to the amps and turned them on. As I idled my way back to the sound booth I talked with God.
"So, are you trying to tell me something?" No answer
"It's because I'm always in a rush isn't it?" Still no answer
Then the giggles started and they got louder until I reached the sound booth. I very carefully walked up the stairs and stationed myself at the computer. I tried to concentrate on what I was supposed to do..OK, import the video into Easy Worship...giggle, giggle...no, seriously, import the videos into Easy Worship...more giggles...just open the sound booth file, their in there...where's the Kleenex box? I got up and grabbed a Kleenex as the giggles progressed into laughter. I tried to look at the monitor to finish importing the videos but everything was blurry because the tears were rolling as I laughed.
"There's really no lesson here is there God?" I dropped my head in my hands as I continued laughing. "This was just something that you and I could laugh about isn't it?" No answer, but I didn't feel alone in my laughter. I can't explain it, but He's there. I finished my work with a smile and once in a while there was a grimace as the pain in my wrist, leg and now my neck started to sink in.
I guess I could try to look at it as some big message from God, but I just couldn't see past the laughter on this one.
Why can't God allow things to happen just because?
Is there always a big meaning behind things that occur or could it be that this is one of those moments that He enjoyed the idiocy of human nature with me.
Kind of like when our kids were little and they were learning to stand. Wes and I would sit and watch them wobble and teeter until they fell flat on their butt. We could have stopped it from happening, but to be honest, it was just fun watching it. We knew they wouldn't get hurt because they had a big pair of Huggies on - I won't talk about the added padding we gain as adults. It seems silly, but I truly believe that as much as God throws out lessons in our life and as much as He is our comforter and our protector, he is also our Father who gave us the gift of laughter and too often we forget about that special gift. Laughter comforts, heals and releases tension. There is something comforting about laughing over something so silly.
And you know, I think for that moment in time God knew that that was exactly what I needed.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" Romans 15:13

Comments

Mom (Nana) said…
You know Dinah reading about your little nose dive comforted me. Cuz at out christmas sunday school program Ed was being his usual impatient self and wanted me to follow him quickly to the car so I turned quickly and forgot about the shallow steps on our balcony in church and I did a really slow motion half turn (Must have looked Like an inexperienced pole dancer I'm thinking) Purse wrapped around my neck and all I saw when I looked up was Mouths open and eyes wide with shock watching me lay there. Ed ran away out of embarrassment and one lady whom I know very well asked. "Are you ok?" All I said was "Oh shutup. and we bothed burst into laughter. I tried to walk the rest of the way with half an ounce of dignity but there was none to be had. I remember saying to God. "Did you really have to let that happen? You could have stopped it" Like you Dinah. I think He was laughing to hard too hear what I said. Anyway nice to know it runs in the family. Love ya

Your sister Cheryl

Popular Posts