Looking back...

Do you remember the Viewmaster? I got one when I was a little girl and I remember how fascinating it was to just sit and stare at the beautiful three dimensional slides. No matter how hard I squeezed my eyes into the lenses I couldn't see around that tree or bush, as real as they seemed, but oh how clear and pretty those pictures were.
Cinderella was one of the stories I had. She was so beautiful! As I flicked the lever up and down along the side of the Viewmaster the pictures would move and change. It was a completely different world, a world that you could disappear into, even if only for a moment. Every picture was so detailed and colorful, they told a complete story together and yet individually every tiny square of microfilm had a story all their own too.
That's just like us, we each have a three dimensional and sometimes colorful story to share about this past year, each one has its ups and downs and no one is more or less important than the next. And just like when I peeked through the lenses into the story of Cinderella, we each have the opportunity to not only glance into, but to speak into each others lives. Whether it's through words of encouragement, through prayers or through silent support.
When I look back over this past year what I remember is your part in our lives. Every moment you walked with us was one more click on the Viewmaster that we call our life. The moments that I knew you were looking in on us worried and praying right along with us (click), the times that you knew when a hug was in order (click) and other times when you could sense that we needed space (click).
But its not just about our individual story, but all our stories combined, yours, mine, all of ours. It's a kaleidoscope of God stories that we all share, interwoven with ribbons of faith and tied together with threads of trust. Trust for a God who never leaves our side whether we are in the valley or the mountaintop. I don't know how people walk through the dark times in their life without a God who is aching to comfort or friends and family who hold you up in prayer when you can no longer form the words to cry for help...I don't know...but, I'm glad I don't have to find out.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

Comments

Popular Posts